Hands-on Advanced Workshop on “Molecular beam epitaxy” 2015
The workshop on “Molecular beam epitaxy” (17.11.2015-16.12.2015) was organized at Faculty of Physics, University of Warsaw. We hosted four lecturers – trainers, during their visit in the Faculty. Three of them were from Grenoble High Magnetic Field Laboratory (France): dr Karol Nogajewski, Tomasz Jakubczyk and prof. Marek Potemski and one from Univerity of Bremen (Germany): prof. Detlef Hommel.
The main activity and training was related to implementation of new 3 inch wafers used as substrates in the molecular beam epitaxy. During workshop, foreign experts trained participants how to recalibrate growth parameters for new kind of substrates. Several growth processes performed in close collaboration with trainers helped us to pass quickly several technological steps and to master the skill of fabrication of big wafers containing Brag reflectors. The practical activities were coordinated by dr Wojciech Pacuski. In addition, prof Detlef Hommel advised how to choose the configuration of effusion cells for the new arrangement of the MBE machine. The decisions and strategy discussed during the workshop will be very important for research activity of workers participating in the project. Using the new 3 inch substrates prepared for the workshop, we have grown several microcavties and structures containing coupled microcavities and Bragg reflectors. During his talk dr Karol Nogajewski shared valuable experience on microwave experiments which will be implemented in the measurements on heterostructures containing solitary magnetic ions. The new experiments will be conducted at University of Warsaw on structures fabricated in our MBE machine.
Second topic of the workshop was devoted to the future plans of new epitaxial activities in Warsaw. Prof. Marek Potemski and dr Karol Nogajewski realized more theoretical part of the workshop, with many discussions and seminars. The vivid discussions on the possibility of epitaxial growth of dichalcogenide layers gave an ideas on new research methodologies and techniques. We discussed also the research progress, and shared experimental data. The seminars and discussions were chaired by prof. Andrzej Golnik.
The present and previous workshops resulted in common publications. Skills trained during workshop are very important in setting future strategy of the research group.
Dr Wojciech Pacuski
Prof. Piotr Kossacki
List of publications
1. "Spin-lattice relaxation of an individual Mn2+ ion in a CdTe/ZnTe quantum dot" M. Goryca, M. Koperski, T. Smolenski, L. Cywinski, P. Wojnar, P. Plochocka, M. Potemski, P. Kossacki, Physical Review B 92, 045412 (2015)
2. "Strong coupling and polariton lasing in Te based microcavities embedding (Cd,Zn)Te quantum wells",
J.-G. Rousset, B. Piętka, M. Król, R. Mirek, K. Lekenta, J. Szczytko, J. Borysiuk, J. Suffczyński, T. Kazimierczuk, M. Goryca, T. Smoleński, P. Kossacki, M. Nawrocki, W. Pacuski.
Applied Physics Letters 107, 201109 (2015).
3. "Designing quantum dots for solotronics"
J. Kobak, T. Smoleński, M. Goryca, M. Papaj, K. Gietka, A. Bogucki, M. Koperski, J.-G. Rousset, J. Suffczyński, E. Janik, M. Nawrocki, A. Golnik, P. Kossacki, W. Pacuski,
Nature Communications 5, 3191 (2014).
4. "Inhibition and Enhancement of the Spontaneous Emission of Quantum Dots in Micropillar Cavities with Radial Distributed Bragg Reflectors", T. Jakubczyk , H. Franke , T. Smoleński , M. Ściesiek , W. Pacuski, A. Golnik ,
R. Schmidt-Grund , M. Grundmann , C. Kruse , D. Hommel, P. Kossacki,
ACS Nano 8, 9970 (2014).
5. "Micropillar cavity containing a CdTe quantum dot with a single manganese ion", W. Pacuski, T. Jakubczyk, C. Kruse, J. Kobak, T. Kazimierczuk, M. Goryca, A. Golnik, P. Kossacki, M. Wiater, P. Wojnar, G. Karczewski, T. Wojtowicz, D. Hommel, Crystal Growth & Design 14, 988 (2014).
6. "Individual cobalt and manganese ions in semiconductor quantum dots and photonic structures",
W. Pacuski, Proc. SPIE 9167, Spintronics VII, 91670K (2014); doi:10.1117/12.2063774
17.11.2015 - 16.12.2016